Sunday, February 13, 2011

Not Everyone is pleased with the Verizon iPhone

An article from cnn.com brings to light that not everyone is happy with the Verizon iPhone. The crowds that were gathering outside of Apple and Verizon stores across America were unusually small. This all seems very odd considering how much people complained for Apple to release their iPhone on on the Verizon network to get away from the awful cell phone coverage of AT&T. There is one large flaw in the iPhone for Verizon as oppose to the phone for AT&T. The Verizon iPhone doesn't allow you to talk on the phone and run apps or the Internet at the same time. This seems like a fairly significant flaw to me, and might keep me and other consumers from switching to the Verizon iPhone instead of keeping my current AT&T contract. That definitely has to hurt the demand for the Verizon iPhone since so many iPhone owners want to be able to access the web and talk on the phone at the same time. I think the Verizon iPhone will still sell quite well, despite that flaw. There are a lot of people on the Verizon network who have been anxiously awaiting their chance to to get their hands on an iPhone since it's release. Another thing that might hurt the sales of the iPhone 4 on Verizon is that every summer Apple seems to always roll out a new phone. There's going to be a descent amount of consumers who are going to wait until summer to pick up a new version of the iPhone. Also AT&T is wasting no time making sure that everyone is aware that you can use the AT&T phone and surf online at the same time. They have launched several new ads that make sure everyone is aware of the features on their iPhone. I believe that the Iphone 4 Will still sell very well for Verizon. The article also states that there are plenty of people who love Verizon's Iphone 4. I think it's great that AT&T doesn't have so much control over the iPhone market anymore and other consumers are getting their chance to experience iPhones. The demand for these phones is still high, but I do think the flaw in the phone will hurt it's demand, but not enough for Apple and Verizon to not make a profit on the device.

6 comments:

  1. I think Verizon chose not to include browsing while talking because they believe that on the AT&T Iphone the call quality and web quality suffered. I'm pretty surprised that more didn't switch over for the unlimited data for $30 though. Maybe the fierce loyalty of apple users rubbed off on AT&T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still plan to buy the Verizon iPhone even though you can't be on the internet and be on the phone at the same time. I've never had any kind of smart phone, all I really had on my phone was texting and calling. This makes even the Verizon iPhone, with fewer features, better than what I already have. I think customers in the same situation and mindset as I am will be fine with the difference in the phones. I personally don't see why you simply couldn't call the person back and use the internet however you need to. This lack of understanding is why I'm, and other customers like me, perfect for Verizon's iPhone. I won't be missing out on anything because I've never had this specific feature and come to expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not see how people really expected something to change. Yes its a different provider and a different network but the technology is what is limiting the phones not the carriers. The only real difference in the phones is the type of network that connects them. It is still 95% the same, one phone uses a sim card and the other uses Verizon's slightly older network id system. Verizon was making claims that it would be faster and have less dropped calls, well yes that is the case but it is at a setback. With Verizon's slightly older technology, network multitasking is prevented because it would put to large of a strain on the network. Also in regard to the iPhone still having the death grip, why would people expect that to change on one provider, that is the phone not the provider. Apple did not fix it for one company why fix it for the other?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think they purposely released the Verizon iPhone with that flaw? How would this affect the AT&T and Verizon iPhone markets? Is there a government regulation in place to make that illegal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do think they released the Verizon iPhone with that flaw. I think what Whit said is right, they decided to include the flaw so that call quality and eb quality wouldn't suffer. If the Verizon iPhone also has it's flaws, than both the iPhone for Verizon and the iPhone for AT&T will stat competitive, and one won't completely dominate the other. Do you mean a regulation that prevents companies from releasing a piece of technology that is intentionally flawed? I've never heard of any regulation like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Mattew. The phone is still basically the same phone, but one just older technology. An iPhone is an iPhone, and when most people see that name on a phone, they don't really care about the all the flaws. The iPhone's are great, and the Verizon version will sell even with it's small flaw.

    ReplyDelete